Wednesday, January 27, 2010

WOW!

When I was in the Miss Teen Kamloops pageant in 1988 I got my picture taken with the mascots for the Calgary Olympics. The torch went through that day and it is a memory I have carried with me and will continue to carry with me. Now I have another piece to that Olympic memory . . . the torch run for the Vancouver Olympics today.

I knew at least 5 of the torchbearers in the Kamloops area and so we decided to go downtown and watch Marshall Flukinger carry the torch. We have known Marshall and his family for around 10 years and to see this young man follow in his mom's footsteps was awesome! Susanne carried the torch back in 1988 and wore her slightly melted torchbearer's coat today.





It was an amazing experience tonight. The excitement with the "Marshall Fan Club" was electric, including his family, friends, our family and my sister Shyvonne. They came by and handed out flags and extremely cool glowing Coke bottles before they dropped off Marshall.


He had a few minutes for a multitude of pictures, the big Coke trucks going by with bands and dancers, all of them cheering and calling Marshall by name before the flame was visible just down the road.




Before you knew it he had his torch lit and was running off down the road and into our memories. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment